Ultimate List of the Best Luxury Hotels in Salzburg
As a local who works in tourism, founded the Free Walking Tour Salzburg, and runs this travel blog you are reading, I have had the pleasure of experiencing some of the most luxurious hotels in Salzburg.
The Best Luxury Hotels in Salzburg
Let me tell you, the luxury hotels in Salzburg are extraordinary. Many boast five-star amenities and top-notch service, but they also have the bonus of being housed in some of the city’s most historic buildings with stories that take you on a journey back in time.
Therefore, many of the luxury hotels in Salzburg also happen to be the best historic hotels in Salzburg and make every history buff’s heart beat faster.
1. Mönchstein: Ultimate Luxury Castle Hotel
If you’re looking for true luxury, look no further than Mönchstein. This five-star superior hotel is one of only two five-star superior hotels in Salzburg. The Mönchstein has only 24 rooms, making for an intimate and exclusive experience. In 2018, it was awarded the title of “best castle hotel in the world,” and it’s easy to see why. The hotel is on Mönchsberg mountain, offering stunning views and a 14,000-square-meter garden. The restaurant has been awarded three out of four “bonnets,” and the spa area is awe-inspiring, complete with an outdoor infinity pool, sauna, and all other wellness facilities.
The spa and restaurant are also available for day guests, and the entire hotel can be rented out for special occasions. You’ll need to take an elevator, a taxi, or a short hike to reach the hotel. Currently, the Mönchstein is ranked number 2 of all hotels in Salzburg on TripAdvisor, with a small budget guesthouse ranked number 1. Hotel Schloss Mönchstein set itself apart from all the others in its category of luxury hotels in Salzburg and is not only one of the best castle hotels in Salzburg but in Austria and the entire world.
2. Hotel Sacher: Savor the Sweetness of History
Another historic hotel that is a must-see is the Hotel Sacher Salzburg. That’s the other five-star superior hotel besides Mönchstein. This hotel is closely tied to the history of the famous Sachertorte, which originated in Vienna. Recently renovated and upgraded, the Hotel Sacher offers guests the opportunity to try the original Sachertorte at the hotel’s café without breaking the bank on luxury accommodation.
The hotel’s location is unbeatable, with suites that cost thousands of euros and offer spectacular views of the Salzach River and the cityscape. I had the opportunity to visit the suites after their renovations were completed in 2018, and I was genuinely impressed by the crystal chandeliers in the public rooms, the antiques, and the orchids. The Sacher feels like the ultimate royal experience, and the staff is highly professional. As one of the few privately-owned five-star hotels in the world and a member of the World’s Leading Hotels, the Hotel Sacher is truly one of the best luxury hotels in Salzburg.
3. Hotel Goldener Hirsch: Traditional Austrian Charm
If you’re looking for a more traditional Austrian experience, the 5-Star Hotel Goldener Hirsch is the place for you. This hotel combines five-star luxury with a traditional Austrian aesthetic. The hotel dates back more than 600 years and was extensively renovated in 2020, so it feels stylishly old rather than dated. The wooden floors, rural decoration, and antique furniture contribute to the hotel’s charming atmosphere.
While I think the Hotel Sacher is perfect, the Goldener Hirsch might be even better if you are in Salzburg for the culture and the arts. The hotel is located meters from Mozart’s birthplace and the Concert Hall and has been a place for the rich and famous during the Salzburg Festival since the founding of the festival. The hotel’s gourmet restaurant serves traditional Austrian food made with local produce and is family-friendly, with children receiving hot chocolate vouchers. The Goldener Hirsch is one of the best luxury hotels in Salzburg for those who want a traditional experience.
4. Hotel Bristol: Live Like a 19th-Century Nobleman
Another 5-Star Hotel in Salzburg that I highly recommend is the Hotel Bristol Salzburg. This hotel exudes a stylish late 19th-century noblemen vibe. Christopher Plummer even stayed here while filming “The Sound of Music” because the hotel had a piano. The hotel is located at the entrance of Mirabell and offers upper-floor suites with either a Mirabell garden view or a stunning view of the old town. Only a bridge separates the hotel from the old town’s Getreidegasse.
The large painting by Makart showing Nero during the fire of Rome is also worth a mention, as it is on display in the hotel and can be viewed by asking at the reception, even if you’re not staying there. I have visited the hotel many times to see this painting. The service at the Hotel Bristol is personal without being intrusive, and the concierge is well-known by everyone working in tourism. The hotel’s Sketch Bar can also be accessed without staying at the hotel, and it’s very stylish, with an open fireplace. The Hotel Bristol Salzburg is one of the best luxury hotels in Salzburg for those who want to experience the city’s history and culture.
5. Radisson Blu: Unlock the Secrets of the Past
Last but not least, I have to mention the Radisson Blu Hotel Altstadt. This hotel is located around the corner from Mozart Square, but it is also only 200 meters from his birthplace in a small alley at the extension of Getreidegasse, Salzburg’s most famous shopping street.
The building dates back to the 14th century. It has 62 rooms, making it a good option for business travelers and individual travelers alike. While it’s not a five-star hotel, it is still luxurious, and the staff is kind and natural. The hotel might be considered old-fashioned, but it still offers a great deal of comfort. The Radisson Blu is one of the best luxury hotels in Salzburg for those who want a traditional hotel experience.
In conclusion, Salzburg’s luxury hotels offer a wide range of experiences, from the historic and royal feel of the Hotel Sacher and the Hotel Bristol to the traditional Austrian charm of the Goldener Hirsch and the Radisson Blu to the exclusive and intimate atmosphere of the Mönchstein. Each of these hotels is one of the best luxury hotels in Salzburg, and no matter which hotel you choose, you’re sure to have a luxurious and memorable stay in Salzburg.
- Hotel Schloss Mönchstein: If you’re looking for true luxury hotel in Salzburg, a five-star superior hotel offering an intimate and exclusive experience in a stunning location on Mönchsberg mountain, on a 14,000-square-meter property with only 24 rooms, an award-winning restaurant, and an impressive spa area.
- Hotel Sacher Salzburg: Experience the ultimate royal treatment at the Hotel Sacher, a historic hotel closely tied to the history of the famous Sachertorte, recently renovated and upgraded, and an unbeatable location with suites offering spectacular views of the Salzach River and the cityscape.
- Goldener Hirsch: combines five-star luxury with a traditional Austrian aesthetic, dating back more than 600 years and extensively renovated in 2020, located just meters from Mozart’s birthplace and offers a gourmet restaurant serving traditional Austrian food made with local produce and a family-friendly atmosphere.
- Hotel Bristol: Live like a 19th-century nobleman at the Hotel Bristol Salzburg, a hotel exuding a stylish late 19th-century noblemen vibe, located at the entrance of Mirabell and offering upper-floor suites with a stunning view and featuring a large painting by Makart on display at the reception and personal service.
- Radisson Blu: Enjoy the traditional hotel experience at the Radisson Blu, a hotel located around the corner from Mozart Square and only 200 meters from his birthplace in a small alley at the extension of Getreidegasse, dating back to the 14th century for a comfortable stay with kind and genuinely friendly staff, popular among business and individual travelers.